Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Someone tell me not to worry....


Please.

This past summer, I was driving down the road with my 3 ½ year old granddaughter, Dezi, and her brother Bailey. Out of the blue, Dezi loudly announced, “Grandma, I’m ready.”
“Ready for what?” I asked.
“Ready to meet Jesus” she replied.
The hair on my arms and neck rose in direct proportion to my foot easing off the gas pedal. Where did that come from? Maybe something she heard in Sunday school?
I asked her what she meant and she said, “I’m just ready to meet him.”
I drove very carefully home without asking any more questions.

This past weekend, the grandkids stayed with us. On Saturday, we went for a ride looking for a little farm market to pick out pumpkins. Along the way, I stopped to explore a little cemetery that we came across. As I walked along, I realized I could hear Dezi quietly singing. I turned but could not see her. I followed the singing back to her and found her lying on the ground singing Jesus Loves Me. A beautiful song but the memory of the “Ready to meet Jesus” statement came flooding back. TIME TO GO!





The next day, Sunday, we were all looking at funny animal videos on You Tube. All of a sudden, Dezi screamed. I looked over and seen blood all over her face and hands. She had a bloody nose! She didn’t fall or get hit or anything. It just started bleeding. I picked her up and ran into the kitchen to find some towels.

Ok, so as I’m cleaning her up, I’m thinking about her singing in the cemetery, the “I’m ready to meet Jesus”, and Albert Ingalls. Remember Albert from Little House on the Prairie? The adopted brother of Laura who was diagnosed with leukemia on the show? Albert, who's first symptom was nosebleeds?

I am not normally a superstitious person but I was a little uneasy the rest of the day. Then came the final blow. As I was explaining the nosebleed to my son in law he said, “that’s funny, she’s always talking about her nose bleeding but it never has. Maybe she has a sixth sense or something.”

It’s just a series of meaningless, unrelated events… It’s just a series of meaningless, unrelated events… It’s just a series of meaningless, unrelated events… It’s just a series of meaningless, unrelated events………




1 comment:

familytwigs said...

It may mean nothing. It may mean everything. Kids are funny. They hear things and misinterpret. They are also so intuitive. All you can do is love her and enjoy every day you have. If that is a long lifetime, that is good.
Enjoying each moment is a good thing regardless of how many moments you have.
She isn't worried. Perhaps you should just take a page out of her book. I have 3 little grandchildren so I can sympathize. I wish I was wise enough to answer you.
She's beautiful, by the way.