Monday, October 26, 2009

Just a random thought

I order from a certain plastics company regularly as part of my job. With every order, they include some sort of religious pamphlet to help spread the word of God.

This last pamphlet was a collection of stories by a number of people each telling their own personal story of how God heard and answered their prayers.

I scanned through the pamphlet and came across the story of a woman who was concerned that her husband was not saved. I don’t have permission to write exactly what she said but it concerned her prayer group lifting him up and saying something along the lines of if he was saved, give her peace and if not, knock him down. Well, the next day he had a heart attack! He didn’t die that day but did a couple of months later due to heart problems.

I mentioned the story to my husband who said “it was probably a coincidence.” He missed the point I was trying to make which was: Here is a story of a deeply religious woman who truly believes in the power of prayer. She and her fellow church members believe that God answers prayers. So why in the world would they even mention “knocking him down?” Why dare God to “knock” anyone down? Why not a simple “please let him be saved?”

I don’t know about her, but I think I would feel pretty darn guilty that I may have played a part in his dying.

No comments: