Monday, April 14, 2008

I have questions.......


about this.

I came across a small and very old cemetery. In it, there are a number of these graves - 10 or more, with only one word printed on their headstones. Unknown. How sad is that?

How can it be that so many of these people are unknown? NO ONE knew their names? What did they do, find dead people laying along the road and bury them? It was surrounded by farmland - maybe a farmer dug them up when clearing or plowing his field? Seriously now, I suspect it has something to do with a big old brick building across the street but still...why didn’t they at least engrave a date on the stone?

Somewhere there must have parents, brothers, sisters, children, friends. Somebody. Somebody who spent the rest of his or her life wondering what happened to them.

I don’t think I will be able to rest until I find the answers. I am going to have to investigate this cemetery further.

No comments: