Tuesday, April 1, 2008

They're going to find a dead cat

When they bury my dad.

Shortly after my mom died, one of her two cats died. It never occurred to me, but it did to my dad, to take the cat to the cemetery and bury it with her.

In the cover of darkness, my dad drove my brother, the dead cat, and a post hole digger to the cemetery. My brother dug a skinny, deep hole just slightly to the left of my mothers grave. And, when I say slightly to the left, I really mean in my dads plot. My dad put the dead cat, head first, into the hole and then my brother covered the hole back up.

I don't know why it didn't occur to either of them that when it came time to dig the hole for my dad, they wouldn't be able to do so without disturbing the cat. It was the first thing I thought of. When I conveyed my concern to my dad, he said "why do I care? I'll be dead by then."

No comments: